30 March 2015

Photography research in London

Gordon's Gin assignment

I spent a day in London looking for ghost typography, which proved to be very elusive. I also photographed lots of interesting brickwork, some of which I will use in my Gordon's Gin design.

I read about the history of Gordon's Gin on their website, and researched buildings in the Clerkenwell area where the distillery was located. The latest incarnation of the distillery building is still there, but this was a relatively modern building as the previous one was destroyed at the beginning of the 2th century. The building is now one of the largest data centres in the UK.

The first photo is looking east along the Southbank towards the Oxo Tower. I love the colours and greyness of this image, coupled with the red of the building on the left.

The next 3 images of of some ghost typography that I found whilst wandering round Clerkenwell, where the Gordon's Gin distillery was based for over a hundred years. The photo on bottom right is the beautiful Art Deco windows on Tate Modern.

Art Deco buildings really inspired by design, as it conjures up images of when people drank gin and tonic in the roaring 20s.

I wanted to use textures of bricks and concrete to reflect the urban nature of where Gordon's Gin originates.















Photos of brick, tiles and limestone I shot in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment