17 October 2014

Week 4

Idea generation


We had to draw thumbnails for branding for two companies.  This is Smile Style Dental Practice. In such a short amount of time you can't really sit and think about words or shapes you associate with the theme, so I just came up with smiley lips and toothpaste.  I played around with the text and came up with the idea of writing the name Smile in toothpaste.  I wanted it to feel clean and reassuring, two things you definitely want from a dentist.




Posters

Creating so many posters in a short space of time was very challenging.  I only managed 7 out of a goal of 30.  I didn't want to crop the photo in the centre, as this seemed a bit obvious, so I chose a side crop which left space at the bottom as well as at the top for the text.





I was intrigued by the number of combinations that are possible, even with just a few elements. Leaving in the illuminated word 'skate' was not the best idea.  I chose the main font because it looks crisp and sharp, but not too formal - to reflect the formal setting, but informal activity, and the cool, crisp temperatures and the sharp blades of ice skates.  My favourite two posters are where the text is set vertically which looks more dynamic.  I think the text on the left is easier to read and it looks like the people are skating out from behind the word, but on the right indicates movement.  The least successful is the orange on white banner. I prefer the word 'skate' in white and 'Somerset House' in light blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment