19 December 2014

Type and layout assignment 2 - grids

Poster 2 research - grids

I wanted to use imagery to convey the idea of a graphic design grid, but without being too literal.  I had the idea that I could use the words National Grid (a play on the electricity distribution system of the UK) over a map of the country. I wanted to include a reference to one of the forerunners of the graphic design grid, Wim Crouwel, so I chose to use his typeface, New Alphabet.

 
























Some inspiration I chose to use was this image:





















Another gridded image I like is below.  I would like to incorporate the feel of this piece in my design.


























Something I found on Pinterest which is similar to what I want to do.

























Wim Crouwel's new alphabet harks back to one of the founders of the modern grid and is the typeface that I want to use for my design.

I researched which colours to use to represent the 4 countries of the UK, and looked at their official flags. Scotland was dark blue, England red, and wales was red on green, so I chose green.  Northern Ireland doesn't have it's own flag, but flies the Union Jack, so I chose white to represent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment