15 October 2014

Week 2

Playbills


During and after the class I created 4 playbills. 

I learned how to use dafont.com and to think about how to combine different typefaces.  I tried to consider which typeface is appropriate for different phrases, or our perception of the meaning of the words.  Using a script font for words like darling and dream felt a bit hackneyed and sentimental, but I noted that I wasn't alone in my choice!  I think I should have used a wider range of fonts on each design.

I realised that I don't like really stylised fonts and I am drawn towards sans serifs (particularly Gill Sans), Clarendon, Rockwell and other slab serifs, and serifs with a large thick/thin stroke contrast like Bodoni.  I love Bauhaus, Eurostile and Helvetica Light.





No comments:

Post a Comment